Belgian Bride Blond – my first beer brewed in my home brewery – for Håndbryggernes Dag

It has taken quite some effort and work, but 2 weeks ago the day came that my home brewery could be tried out :-). I was so excited, as now I have a crane to help me lifting my brew pot:

It will be much easier now to lift my brew pot and clean it properly. I just rail it over to the other side of my home brewery where we installed a huge sink. In the future we will also install a ‘shower’ place so it will be even easier to properly clean my brewing equipment 😊.

With my crane and the sink installed, I wanted to optimize one of my first recipes: my Bride Blond I brewed for my wedding. The reason for this is that people really liked it at our wedding and the one I brewed for my husbands aunt and uncle’s 70 years birthday was also really liked and very close to the original recipe (another blog post to come).

The original recipe was with pilsner malt, oat and wheat malt. The hops I used was Mittelfruh, as this hop variety gives a balanced bitterness with a clean aftertaste without giving too much aroma. In the current recipe I left oat malt out but used a mix of Weyermann pilsner malt and Cara pilsner malt. The wheat malt was 8% of the total malt bill. 

And then it was brewing time:

As all my former trials with producing a Belgian Blond resulted in good flavored beers but without proper foam, I decided not to filter my water anymore and to maish in at a higher temperature. I used a Britta filter before to filter out part of the Calcium, but I read that this can give cause to more salty beers without a proper foam head. One of my friends actually detected the salty flavor in my beer, so I decided to try something different and not to filter my beer anymore over a Britta filter.

I also maished in at 55 degrees Celsius now, instead of at 38 degrees Celsius. This to make sure that I would not have too much protein breakdown, so I would have a good foam stability in the glass. I also made sure this time to correct the pH, however this was not necessary, as the pH was around 5.6.

For the yeast, I used my favorite Golden Ale WLP570 yeast and A witbier yeast WLP400 to try a new style yeast. After brewing, I put the beer in two buckets and put them in my fermentation closet.
After cooling down the wort during the night, I aerated them properly the next day before adding the yeast:

The yeast bubbled happily away the next day and after 7 days the beer was completely fermented out. 

And that was the time to put it on keg … yes, I signed up for a crazy homebrewing challenge, called Håndbryggernes Dag at Brewers Inc For this day (2nd of September), I had to put 20L of beer on a key keg to make it ready to be poured at Brewers Inc.

I got the key keg from Maltbazaren and after watching some YouTube movies, my husband and me managed to fill the keg:

However, we filled the keg without carbonating the beer and after talking to one of my colleagues, I was afraid the beer could not be tapped. Luckily Erik from Brewers Inc could figure out how to do this and on Saturday 2nd of September, my beer was ready to be poured from tap. I was so proud to see my beer on the tap list (number 7):

I was so nervous to taste it, but that was not necessary, I was extremely pleased with the flavor, the foam and the body of my Belgian Bride Blond! The foam was actually really good, so not filtering my water definitely had helped.

A lot of people liked my beer that day and this resulted in a 2nd place in the Håndbryggernes Dag competition. If you want to see the video where they release the results, check out the Facebook page of Brewers Inc. 


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s